Amidst the beautiful Mirabell Gardens, in Salzburg, Austria, the “Dwarf Garden” (‘The Zwerglgarten’) is located. It was built by Prince Archbishop Franz Anton Harrach in 1715, to commemorate the dwarves who were the models of entertainment, served in the Prince’s court. It has an inspiring history for the foreigners and the peasants of the town.
The Crown Prince Ludwig of Bavaria had a misconception taking the dwarves, in concern for his wife and their unborn child. Perhaps he assumed them to be ominous and ordered for their seizure and removal from the Dwarf Garden. But its great value to the Salzburg’s cultural heritage was forgotten, and the sculptures got auctioned.
But the Salzburg Society for the Preservation of Local Amenities had taken great interest in restoring back the iron sculpts from the city councilors, and got the dwarves placed at the more deserving place.
Today, some of the retrieved ones are placed in the Bastion Garden, waiting for the remaining sculptures to join them.